Support For All Businesses
- In times of Economic Downturns or Seasons of Success, our small businesses should be supported first !
- Corporations that bring much needed jobs and tax revenue to Rural NC should be sought out and welcomed.
"Politicians have created a strange division between large corporations and small businesses that doesn't help our district. Our federal policies should NOT favor one above the other, and there should be a strong economical foundation that will ensure our smallest businesses survive. At the end of the day, voters want jobs...whether it's at our local coffee shops and restaurants or the stores and warehouses of our largest corporations."
A Decrease in District Poverty
- Sustained funding and assistance for our lowest-income children and their families & programs that increase the opportunities for Home-Ownership and Small-Business creation.
- Support for Corporations willing to invest in our rural Communities, Counties, and Cities.
- Continued support for our Community College system and 4-year Colleges and Universities.
"Again, the most recent US Census Data reveals that a majority of the counties in our district are Poor. When our Congressional leaders are more focused on being Divisive and keeping their seats...and not improving the lives of all their citizens, this is the result. Enough!!! Our daily priority should be to support our citizens, business owners, and local governments in their efforts to improve the lives of our most disadvantaged."
Term Limits for Congress
- 3 terms in the House, 2 terms in the Senate. If politicians are to be truly trusted and respected, their time in Congress should be limited !
- Allowing citizens to have a Fair chance at winning a Federal seat is an Equity issue.
"Term limits are supported by a majority of voters and it's my heartfelt priority. So much so, I am publicly stating my support for and personally implementing VOLUNTARY term limits. I don't believe I could serve in any public office without allowing new ideas to emerge...ideas that did not originate with me. It's only fair, and no candidate in the NC-02 should run without pledging to voluntarily step out of office, even if term limits legislation has not been adopted!"
- Providing municipalities the resources needed for long overdue improvements to their water & sewer systems, while assisting with State funding for NC's road projects including rural city + county located roads and highways.
"A surge of flexible federal infrastructure funding is needed to improve the many struggling water and wastewater systems, roads, and bridges in North Carolina. Also needed are resources that will facilitate the formation of self-sustained municipal enterprises that will NOT have to rely on a depleting pool of Federal resources."
A Strong & Modern Military
- A strong technologically-advanced Armed Forces, with unwavering support for our Veterans, increased funding for services & programs to support families of active duty members.
- NO HOMESLESS VETERANS in the NC-02 !
"A strong military that is technologically advanced with unwavering support for our veterans , plus increased services and programs for the families of active duty service members is a must! On the global stage, our strength as a Country is synonymous with the strength of our military and the federal policies that support our Armed Forces."
Access & Internships
- A total of 6 NC-02 District offices to ensure that all our citizens have access to me & my staff.
- Interns from Community Colleges & Universities will be Paid + gain experience in our DC and District offices.
"Internships are instrumental in the success of our college students. With a total of 6 District Offices instead of only 1, staffed by paid interns from our 2-year & 4-year colleges and universities, our students will learn politics from the inside. One day they will become the trusted leaders and elected officials of our cities and counties. But it is imperative that they and our constituents truly have access to me, as their Congressman, as well as to my Staff."
Criminal Justice Reform
- Innovative, sustainable, and community-led solutions to address inequalities and biases in our
court + prison system.
- Targeted funding for mental-health related programs.
- An improved & fair bail system for those who are living at or below the Federal Poverty Line.
"Many of our poorest are sadly destined to be stuck in our local jails and prisons...simply because they cannot afford bail. Policies to create a fair bail and bond system should be a priority, while ensuring that violent offenders are not prematurely released into communities to commit more crimes while awaiting trial. This reform is achievable; but only by working with local stakeholders in order to create much-needed and long-lasting changes."
"You'll hear me say this throughout our campaigns and even while I'm in office - I vote on National Issues because that's an important part of the job, but my focus is on my District and our most pressing needs. If I mean what I say about only serving 6 years ( 3 term limits ) in the US House, then I cannot and will not waste our opportunities fighting about issues, people, or viewpoints that are not directly making our District better." - JS